Thursday, December 19, 2013

New England LMSC Short Course Meter Championships



It has been over four years since I last swam in a competitive swim meet. That was the Mid-American Conference Championship meet in 2009 when I was a senior at the University at Buffalo. I had been swimming for 12 years by then. Nine of those were year round. Four were in high school competing at a highly competitive level and the final four were in college. I remember those last four being extremely challenging and rewarding. But ultimately they were physically, mentally, and emotionally draining on me. By the time, I finished the MAC championships my senior year I had accomplished nearly all my goals. I had broken the 50 second barrier in the 100 yard butterfly (and set a school record in the process), earned various titles and set a few team records, and even came close to qualifying for the US Olympic Trials in 2008. Walking away from that meet, I simply had nothing left to give to swimming.

Or so I thought. Eventually I found my way to triathlon which obviously includes a swimming segment. However, I still didn’t qualify this as swimming. While swimming 1 to 2.5 miles is certainly challenging in its own right, the nerves of knowing you cannot afford mistake in a race that is less than 25 seconds, going into oxygen debt in every race, swimming 10 times a week and doing 60,000 yards a week begins to break you down. By comparison, swimming 3 times a week is nothing. So when my girlfriend who is a US Masters swim coach, asked me to swim in a meet I was hesitant.
After some deliberation, I decided to give it a shot. I figured I would combine my triathlon pension for long distances in addition to my usual sprint events that were my forte all through my swimming career. I signed up to swim the 800m free, 400m free, 50m butterfly, 100m free, 200m free, 100m IM, 50m free, and the 100m fly. In addition, I swam relays and all the events were spread out over 3 days. (I’ve got to plug my nutrition sponsor here Amrita Health Foods. Swimming 6 times over the course of the day doesn’t really allow for eating so these energy bars were the bet to help me refuel.)
The first was the 800. I went into the meet with high expectations of being close to where I was during my swimming days so when I went a 9:53, I was slightly disappointed. However, I did not swim it well and I went out too fast in the first 400 split. This ended up costing me for the rest of the race. The 400m free the following day was the same song and dance. This was getting frustrating.
As I was waiting for my next event, I was talking to some of my team mates on Great Bay Masters and they told me that I need to forget about what I USED to swim and just enjoy the race. This is when things seemed to turn a corner. I started swimming like I did during my days when I swam for the Titans (some of my best days in swimming). No, I was not swimming as fast as I used to but I was happy. Happy that with every stroke I felt powerful, that I felt like the water was my domain once again. The closest I can compare it to is that part in Chariots of Fire when Eric said when he runs fast he can feel God’s joy.

Next up was the 50 butterfly. The butterfly is my favorite stroke. I think I was destined to become a butterfly ever since I watched  the 1996 Olympics when I tried to imitate it on the living room floor in front of the TV (hey I was 8). The race went great and I ended up earning second in my age group. I was really starting to feel like my old self. My other events also went well and I was happy to see I was only marginally slower than I was in one of my marquis events, the 50 free. Another highlight was winning the 100m butterfly. This is the individual event that I get most excited about. Even if I’m not swimming it, it’s my favorite to watch and when they show it during the Olympics, the world stops for me. So winning this event was really special to me.

So my individual events went well but I think the best races were from the relays. This is when you truly get to experience a team during swimming. It’s you and 3 of your team mates and the crowd always gets into it and they are without a doubt the thing I missed most about swimming.
Overall, my first meet back was a lot of fun. I really enjoy swimming with a Masters team and I highly recommend it to anyone. The best part of Masters is, it is whatever you want it to be: Want to swim fast and shoot for records? Want to get fit (and get a jump on those New Year’s resolutions)? Do you want to improve your swimming for triathlons? Looking for a group to work out with? US Masters swimming can be any of these things. Register here!

No comments:

Post a Comment